Welcome to the AIS Middle School!
Our Middle School Program
Hearing the calls from our students and their families, the AIS Board of Directors and Leadership Team have worked tirelessly over the past several years to develop the first stage of a Secondary School program for AIS. Key to this planning are three elements:
In order to allow for the continued and sustained growth of our community, the first year of our secondary program will allow for students of varying backgrounds to enter one of two programs: French and International.
In keeping with best practices in international education, while our secondary program will be academically challenging, it will continue to be a place for students to learn to be creative, critical thinkers, and adventurous.
Starting with the End in Mind
In keeping with the long-term mission and strategic plans of the school, the AIS Middle School program has been designed with the end in mind. As such, the school has targeted the following terminal diplomas:
- Baccalauréat Français (séries L, ES, S)
- Bilingual International Baccalaureate Diploma
- AIS High School Diploma
In preparation for this, AIS is in the process of seeking additional accreditation from the Independent School Association of the Southwest (ISAS), the Council of International Schools (CIS), and the French Ministry of Education.
Rollout of our Middle School Program
AIS is rolling out the opening of our Middle School Program according to the following schedule:
- Sixième (6th grade) opens in August 2017
- Cinquième (7th grade) opens in August 2018
- Quatrième (8th grade) opens in August 2019
Key Features of the Middle School
The Middle School curriculum has been designed by aligning it with the school’s future diplomas and accreditation/licensing/authorization requirements. It is further supported by our established policies and aligned with our profile of graduates.
- Students receive instruction in French, Spanish, and English every day.
- The French Program is delivered 62% in French, allowing us to maintain homologation by the French Ministry of Education. The secondary language of instruction is English.
- The International Program is delivered 62% in English and the secondary language of instruction is Spanish.
- Secondary languages are studied at advanced levels in both programs.
- In support of ongoing seamless education, students in either program are able to study either French or Spanish as a third language (beginner and advanced).
- In support of our commitment to immersion education, all students study visual arts in French, PE in English, and music in Spanish.
Forty percent of the curriculum is linked to STEAM-related subjects (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics).
AIS Grade Levels
At AIS, grade levels follow the naming convention of the French National Education system and are divided into four academic cycles.
PK3 - Petite Section (PS)
PK4 - Moyenne Section (MS)
Kinder - Grande Section (GS)
1st - Cours Préparatoire (CP)
2nd - Cours Élémentaire 1 (CE1)
3rd - Cours Élémentaire 2 (CE2)
4th - Cours Moyen 1 (CM1)
5th - Cours Moyen 2 (CM2)
6th - Sixième (6e)
7th - Cinquième (5e)
8th - Quatrième (4e)
9th - Troisième (3e)