Welcome to the AIS Middle School!
Our Middle School Program
The AIS Leadership Team worked tirelessly over several years to develop and launch the first stage of a Middle School program in 2017. Key to this planning were three elements:
In order to allow for the continued and sustained growth of our community, the first year of our secondary program will allow for students of varying backgrounds to enter one of two programs: French and International.
In keeping with best practices in international education, while our secondary program will be academically challenging, it will continue to be a place for students to learn to be creative, critical thinkers, and adventurous.
Starting with the End in Mind
In keeping with the long-term mission and strategic plans of the school, the AIS Middle School program has been designed with the end in mind. As such, the school has targeted the following terminal diplomas:
- Baccalauréat Français (séries L, ES, S)
- Bilingual International Baccalaureate Diploma
- AIS High School Diploma
In preparation for this, AIS sought and was awarded regional accreditation by the Independent School Association of the Southwest (ISAS) and international accreditation by the French Ministry of Education. As such, our Middle School program is extremely well-suited to prepare students for challening high school studies.
Key Features of the Middle School
The Middle School curriculum has been designed by aligning it with the school’s future diplomas and accreditation requirements. It is further supported by our established policies and aligned with our profile of graduates.
- Students receive instruction in French, Spanish, and English every day.
- The French Program is delivered 62% in French, allowing us to maintain accreditation by the French Ministry of Education. The secondary language of instruction is English.
- The International Program is delivered 62% in English and the secondary language of instruction is Spanish. This program is fully accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Southwest.
- Secondary languages are studied at advanced levels in both programs.
- In support of ongoing seamless education, students in either program are able to study either French or Spanish as a third language (beginner and advanced).
- Forty percent of the curriculum is linked to STEAM-related subjects (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics).
AIS Grade Levels
At AIS, grade levels follow the naming convention of the French National Education system and are divided into four academic cycles.
PK3 - Petite Section (PS)
PK4 - Moyenne Section (MS)
Kinder - Grande Section (GS)
1st - Cours Préparatoire (CP)
2nd - Cours Élémentaire 1 (CE1)
3rd - Cours Élémentaire 2 (CE2)
4th - Cours Moyen 1 (CM1)
5th - Cours Moyen 2 (CM2)
6th - Sixième (6e)
7th - Cinquième (5e)
8th - Quatrième (4e)
9th - Troisième (3e)